Tuesday, July 20, 2010

So long, Sweet Lou

Currently watching: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v. New York Yankees

As a college graduate, you're programmed to want a job after college. Your parents have programmed it into your head, your professors, heck, even your friends are wondering why you haven't gotten a job yet. The feedback I've gotten from my friends about my need to get a real job have been mixed. Some friends are sympathetic and understand the situation, mainly because they graduated with the same major and are having the same difficulty trying find a job. Some friends have been not-so-sympathetic. Suggesting jobs in a different job sector that I don't want to be in.

Sorry, but just because a bank teller earns about $10/hr and you work about 20 hours/week doesn't mean I want to make a career out of it.

Sometimes, I wish I was an athlete - if you're talented and skilled enough to make it to the professional sports world, then you have no problem making a career out of it. Of course, there's the media attention, trying to stay healthy, making sure you (or your team) wins, etc. And then if you retire, whether health or experience is a factor, you have an opportunity to work in the business side of the sport. From what I've learned and read and watched, many former players do this.

Recently, Anaheim Ducks Captain Scott Niedermayer held a press conference at the Honda Center to announce his retirement from NHL. It's sad for fans, but come on, he played for 18 years. I think he deserves a break (purely my opinion, of course). But like I've mentioned previously, he will stay on as a consultant for the team.

One of the big headlines in the sports world is Lou Piniella announcing his retirement as Chicago Cubs Manager at the end of this season.

Here's the headline: Lou Piniella to retire as Cubs Manager

After 18 years in the major leagues and 22 years as a manager, Lou Pinella has made his presence in Major League Baseball a very colorful one. I remember his meltdowns when I first started watching baseball in 2002 (yeah, I know. I'll explain later), and how agressive he appeared. But you had to respect a manager whose only goal was to win, in particular, the World Series.

This is no word on whether he will stay with the Cubs to be a consultant, but until then we'll just have to wait and see.

 So long, Sweet Lou. Your antics will be missed (sorta).

Photo found here

No comments:

Post a Comment